The CFMTA E-Festival is open to all instrumentalists and vocalists performing at all levels, who are studying with a teacher who is a member of one of our affiliated provincial Registered Music Teachers’ Associations
This inaugural E-Festival is focusing on Canadian compositions. Students may submit more than one entry.
The intent for this new project is for a more relaxed performance opportunity, which will also allow for early performance and preparation feedback, which teachers may choose to incorporate in to the continuing preparations for local festivals or exams in the Spring.
- Entries will be accepted starting January 1st - February 15th, 2019 at 12 Midnight Pacific Standard Time
- Detailed written adjudication returned within two (2) weeks of the confirmation of entry
- Certificate returned by Canada Post by March 6th, 2019
- Any Canadian composition
- Previously graded selections preferred
- Accessible sources and syllabi for graded pieces:
- any Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) Syllabus
- any Conservatory Canada (CCM) Syllabus
- the Alliance for Canadian New Music Projects
English Syllabus: http://acnmp.ca/syllabus/english-syllabus/
French Syllabus: http://acnmp.ca/syllabus/french-syllabus/
- Grades 5-7 students are encouraged to consider using the winning 2018 Call for Compositions selections available for download at: ttps://www.cfmta.org/en/call-for-composition-2018/
- Memorization is encouraged but not compulsory
Class and Fee Structure
|Level||RCM/CC Grade level||Maximum Playing Time||Entry Fee|
|Division 1||Primary||Prep – Grade 2||3 Minutes||$25/entry|
|Division 2||Elementary||Grades 3-5||5 Minutes||$30/entry|
|Division 3||Intermediate||Grades 6-8||6 Minutes||$35/entry|
|Division 4||Advanced||Grade 9 and up||10 Minutes||$40/entry|
- Professional recordings are not required for this competition but good audio quality is very important
- MP4 video recording of each competition selection. iPhone/cell phone videos with good quality audio are acceptable.
- Video recording can be done in home or studio or other location
- Must include a clear picture of the student playing showing face or facial profile, hands (in the case of pianist and instrumentalist), and instrument
- One take recording
- Editing or splicing in any form is strictly prohibited
- Camera angle must remain consistent throughout the performance
- Upload recording to your own YouTube channel as a PRIVATE video (only accessible when the link is shared directly by the owner of the video)
- Full contact information of student and teacher
- Full repertoire information
- The link to the recording on your YouTube channel
- A PDF file of complete score and the title page of the book or receipt if a digital download
- Online entry form can be found at: http://www.cfmta.org/e-festival
- Payment by PayPal required for entry to be accepted. Additional PayPal fees will be automatically added at checkout
- Each participant will receive:
- a detailed adjudication of their performance [English or French]
- a Certificate of Participation with a Gold [89 and above], Silver [85-88] or Bronze [80-84]seal
- Participants and standard achieved will be posted by Division on CMFTA website
- Registered Music Teachers from across Canada
- Register to be an adjudicator at http://www.cfmta.org/en/e-festival/adjudicators
For registration form
Please be prepared with the following before starting to complete the online entry form:
- Competitor information, including address, phone number and email address.
- CFMTA Provincial/Local Music Teacher Association teacher information, including phone number, email address and affiliated association.
- Video Recordings must be uploaded to YouTube as “Private” by the entrant with the link to the recording provided on the entry form where indicated.
- A PDF file of each selection of music performed in the competition is to be uploaded in the fields provided in the entry form. The PDF must include the title page of the book and all pages of music performed in the competition. If the competition selection is a digital download, please include the receipt in the PDF file.
- Payment of entry fee by PayPal in Canadian Funds as per chart. There will be a 1.6% plus $0.30 PayPal service fee added by PayPal upon checkout.
- Entry is not considered final until entry fee payment has been verified by the CFMTA treasurer.
Please contact Terri-Lynn McNichol, E-Festival Administrator at: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns regarding the entry format or process for this competition.