The CFMTA/FCAPM Student Composer Competition is a national competition for First Place Winners of Provincial composition competitions. Entries are submitted by Provincial Canada Music Week® Coordinators for Canada-wide judging before June 1 each year. Scholarships are awarded to winners in each category, and the Helen Dahlstrom Award is given annually to the best national composition as selected by the adjudicator. Helen Dahlstrom was the founder of Canada Music Week®.
STUDENT COMPOSER COMPETITION REGULATIONS
- A student may enter more than one composition and more than one class but only one prize will be awarded to any individual. The composition must be a new composition, not previously entered in the CFMTA Student Composer Competition.
- The contestant must be eligible in his chosen age group as of June 1, 2017.
- Each entry is assumed to be the original work of the individual whose name appears on the entry form attached to the manuscript.
- All rights to his/her original work will be retained by the contestant, but winning compositions may be published, recorded and available to be downloaded for public use from the CFMTA website or employed by the CFMTA for publicity purposes after consultation with and agreement of the contestant.
- Only first place winning manuscripts at the Provincial level may be forwarded by the Provincial Canada Music Week® coordinators to the Competition before June 1, 2016 in order to be included in the Canada-wide judging. Submission of recordings is optional, but recommended if available.
- The contestant must be a student of a current member of the Registered Music Teachers’ Association.
- Manuscripts printed by computers are preferred. If submitting handwritten manuscripts, they should be neat and legibly written in black ink, in regulation manuscript size, including all necessary details of dynamics, editing and tempo, with every 10th bar numbered. Please retain the original copy of your
- Include complete contact information clearly printed in block letters. All submissions must include an email address and mobile phone number.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into after final judging.
- An entry fee must accompany each composition submitted for Canada-wide judging.
Please make cheques payable to CFMTA.
- PREPARATORY– $20
- CATEGORY A – $20
- CATEGORY B – $30
- CATEGORY C, D & E – $40
Prizes will not be awarded if the adjudicator feels the standard has not been achieved.
Provincial Student Composer Co-ordinators
Alberta Po Yeh - email@example.com
British Columbia Sonia Hauser - firstname.lastname@example.org
Manitoba Jane Duerksen - email@example.com
New Brunswick Ross Simonds - firstname.lastname@example.org
Newfoundland Barbara Clarke - email@example.com
Nova Scotia Skippy Mardon - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ontario Alice Dearden - email@example.com
Prince Edward Island Valerie Mackenzie - firstname.lastname@example.org
Quebec David Côté - email@example.com
Saskatchewan Laureen Kells - firstname.lastname@example.org
Yukon Annie Avery - email@example.com
For more information, please contact: Po Yeh firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Composer Competition Winners 2015
- Student Composer Competition Winners 2014
- Student Composer Competition Winners 2013
- Student Composer Competition Winners 2012
- Student Composer Competition Winners 2011
- Student Composer Competition Winners 2010
- Student Composer Competition Winners 2009