In order to participate in this national competition,
you must have been selected by your provincial teachers’ association.
CFMTA/FCAPM National Piano Competition - 2023 Deadline May 1, 2023
1. The National Piano Competition is limited to Competitors studying at the undergraduate level or lower as of the date of application. Competitors must not have reached their 25th birthday by January 1, 2023. They must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
2. Competitors must be students of a Registered Music Teacher at the time of application.
3. SEMI-FINAL ROUND - No changes in repertoire are permitted once application is submitted.
a) Competitors in the CFMTA/FCAPM National Semi-final Round must present a program of 30 minutes minimum to a 45 minute maximum, consisting of the following:
• One Canadian Solo Composition
• One complete solo composition from the Classical or Baroque Period,
• A variety of shorter works to form a well-balanced program
b) Three finalists will be selected from the Semi-Final Round of the competition to proceed to the Final round of the competition.
c) AWARDS given at the conclusion of the Final Round:
• The Ernst Schneider Canadian Music Award: $1,000.00 - for the best performance of a Canadian composition
• The Chopin Award: $1,000.00 - for the best performance of a Chopin composition *
• The Willard Schultz Baroque Music Award: $1,500.00 - to the performer whose reading of Baroque music best communicates the intentions of the composer **
• The Willard Schultz Most Promising Performing Artist Award: $1,500.00 - to the performer who shows the most promise overall as a performing artist
* To be eligible for the Chopin Award, the Semi-Final program must include a work by Chopin.
** To be eligible for the Willard Schultz Baroque Award, the Semi-Final program must include a work from that era. .
4. FINAL ROUND - No changes in repertoire are permitted once the selection has been submitted. A completely new program must be presented. Time Limits: a minimum of 25 minutes to a maximum of 35 minutes.
AWARDS given at the conclusion of the Final Round
• First Place: $5,000.00
• Second Place: $3,000.00
• Third Place: $2,000.00
5. FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
a) Each Provincial/Territorial Association will be responsible for the financial expenses incurred during the selection of its competitor. Each Provincial/Territorial Association may choose, by audition or otherwise, ONE competitor who will represent their Province/Territory.
b) Each Provincial/Territorial Association will be responsible for the expense of its competitor’s travel as prorated by the CFMTA/FCAPM, to and from the competition city. Travel for the Competitors is coordinated by the Awards and Competitions Chairperson. Provincial/Territorial Associations are strongly encouraged to solicit Corporate Sponsorship.
6. APPLICATION FORM
The Online Application Form is available on the website - click here
Applications will be accepted using the online form only.
You will need the following when applying online:
* Application Fee ($250.00) payment options are on the application form
* Photo – digital copy (1,000 kb)
* Resume (100 to 150 words maximum)
* List of Repertoire, in order of performance, for both Semi-Final and Final programs, including Title (complete), Composer (first and last name), performance time of each piece
* name/address/contact information of your teacher and CFMTA Provincial Representative
If you have any questions, please contact:
Lynn Ewing, Awards and Competitions Chair