CFMTA/FCAPM National Piano Competition - 2017
- The National Piano Competition is limited to Competitors studying at the undergraduate level or lower as of the date of application. Competitors must be no more than 24 years of age as of January 1st, 2017. They must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
- Competitors must be students of a Registered Music Teacher at the time of application.
- Competitors in the CFMTA/FCAPM National Semi-final Round must present a program of 30 minute minimum to a 45 minute maximum, consisting of the following:
a) One Canadian Solo Composition
b) One complete solo composition from the Classical or Baroque Period
c) A variety of shorter works to form a well-balanced program
No changes in repertoire are permitted once application is submitted.
First Prize: $6,000.00
Second Prize: $3,000.00
Third Prize: $2,000.00
Dorothy Buckley Prize: for the best performance of a Canadian composition: $ 1,000.00
Marek Jablonski Prize: for the best performance of a Chopin composition: $1,000.00
Willard Schultz Prize: to the performer who shows the most promise overall as a performing artist, in the opinion of the jury: $1,500.00
Willard Schultz Prize: to the performer whose reading of Baroque music best communicates the intentions of the composer, in the opinion of the jury: $1,500.00
** To be eligible for the Marek Jablonski prize, the semi-final program must include a work by Chopin. To be eligible for the Willard Schultz Baroque prize the semi-final program must include a work from that era. The winners of the Jablonski, Buckley and both Schultz prizes are chosen from the semi-final round of competition. No changes in repertoire are permitted once the selection has been submitted.
- Three finalists will be selected from the semi-final round of the competition to proceed to the Final Competition. Each finalist may repeat only ONE selection from the semi-final program. Time limit: 30 minutes to a maximum 45 minutes.
- Each Provincial/Territorial Association will be responsible for the financial expenses incurred during the selection of its competitor. Each Provincial/Territorial Association may choose, by audition or otherwise, ONE competitor who will represent their Province/Territory.
- Each Provincial/Territorial Association will be responsible for the expense of its competitor’s travel as prorated by the CFMTA/FCAPM, to and from the competition city. Travel for the Competitors is coordinated by the Awards and Competitions Chairperson. Provincial/Territorial Associations are strongly encouraged to solicit Corporate Sponsorship.
- Application Forms accompanied by the Application Fee must be received by the Competition and Awards Chair at the address shown on the Application Form, by the deadline date. Late applications will NOT be accepted under any circumstances.
- The competitors must submit with their Application Form, a separate typewritten list of their National Semi-final repertoire in order of performance with the exact time of each selection and a list of their National Final repertoire in order of performance including the exact time of each selection. Competitors must also submit a typewritten resume of approximately 100-150 words and a digital photograph (1,000 kb)
Application forms are available on the website - www.cfmta.org
If you have any questions, please contact:
Sue Jones, Awards and Competitions Chair
259 Crocus Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1H 6E7